Updated July 2008
Growth & Development
- Brain Rules by John Medina; Current research and knowledge about the brain, its development, and good habits to keep the brain functioning.
- The Stuff of Thought by Steven Pinker; An exploration of language and how we use it. Thus, this is an exploration of the human mind and the role language plays in thinking.
- Mindset by Carol S. Dweck Phd; Current research and knowledge about success and what’s required for success.
- Made to Stick by Chip Heath and Dan Heath; An exploration of successful communication and what qualities make them work.
- repacking your bags by Richard J. Leider and David A. Shapiro; A useful look at exploring our lives, reducing stress, and increasing future happiness
Health & Well Being
- Eat, Drink and Be Healthy by Walter C. Willett; words of wisdom regarding food and how mankind has ended up in the place we are today.
- DIETARY REFERENCE INTAKES FOR Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids. published by the Food and Nutrition Board ; the latest research and knowledge about the human body’s requirement for nutrition as sourced from food.
- The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham; the first investment book one should read
- Investors & Markets by William Sharpe; the latest thinking about investment asset prices and portfolio management
- One Up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch; the second investment book one should read
- The Age of Turbulence by Alan Greenspan; the life history and economic thinking of the former Federal Reserve chairman
- Investment Science by David Luenberger; a look at investment science from a mathematical perspective
- Investment Analysis Portfolio Management by Frank K. Reilly and Keith C. Brown; a text book for the subject of investment analysis and portfolio management.
- Executing Your Strategy by Morgan, Levitt, and Malek; a primer on developing and executing business strategy
- Built to Last by Jerry Porras & Jim Collins; research and analysis of successful companies and what makes them different
- How Customers Think by Gerald Zaltman; an approach to examining the minds of customers.
- The Creative Edge by William C. Miller; a primer on bringing creativity into the workplace
- Decision Making Under Uncertainty by Charles Holloway; a textbook for making decisions in an uncertain environment. My favorite class at Stanford.
- Gabriella Clove and Cinnamon by Jorge Amado
- Truth to Tell by Lanny J. Davis
- Paradise by Toni Morrison
- Master of the Senate by Robert A Caro
- My Soul is Rested: Movement Days in the Deep South Remembered by Howell Raines
Great Music (listed by artist that I assoicate with the music)
- Dance With My Father (Luther Vandross)
- Can I Walk With You (India.Aire)
- The Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding)
- Girl From Ipanema (Astrud Gilberto, João Gilberto & Stan Getz)
- Put Your Records On (Corinne Bailey Rae)
- Made to Love Ya (Gerald Levert)
- Ebony Eyes (Stevie Wonder)
- Saturn (Stevie Wonder)
- I Wish It Would Rain (The Temptations)
- Precious (Esperanza Spaulding)
- My Girl (The Temptations)
- Power of Love (Luther Vandross)
- No Mirrors In My Nana’s House (Sweet Honey in the Rock)
- Three Little Birds (Bob Marley)
- I Can’t Stop Loving You (Count Basie & His Orchestra)
- Baby, It’s Cold Outside (Vanessa Williams)
- Man In The Mirror (Michael Jackson)
- Fever (Joe Sample & Lalah Hathaway)
- Waterfalls (TLC)
- You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman (Aretha Franklin)
- Bridge Over Troubled Water (Aretha Franklin)
- And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going (Jennifer Holliday)
- Love and Happiness (Al Green)
- Oh Happy Day (Edwin Hawkins)
- SóDanço Samba (Antonio Carlos Jobim, João Gilberto& Stan Getz)
Favorite Recording Artist (no particular order)
- Al Jarreau
- Grover Washington Jr.
- Kirk Whalum
- David Sanborn
- Quincy Jones
- Stevie Wonder
- Everett Harp
- Janis Siegel
- Mariah Carey
- Vanessa Williams
- Aretha Franklin
- Celine Dion
- Luther Vandross
- The Temptations
- Whitney Houston
- Carlinhos Brown
- Daniela Mercury
- Milton Nascimento
- Antonio Carlos Jobim
- Gilberto Gil
- Marisa Monte